Oil painting, watercolor - custom made paintings. Portraits painted from a photograph, paintings of your favorite motifs or precise copies of old masters:
For me, personally, these paintings are especially interesting: to see that I am able to paint your idea well enough for the painting to become part of your home or office.
People are often interested in classical, smooth paintings but I can paint every motif in many different ways:
A significant number of paintings by the old masters, that we still admire today, were made as commissioned paintings. And I do not only mean works by the greatest icons, such as Rembrandt, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Caravaggio, and many others. "Contemporary artists" often create(d) commissioned painting as well. Nevertheless, I prefer the old masters although I paint abstract art too.
Therefore, I am always pleased when I get your trust to paint such a custom-made painting for you. Moreover, it is a source of inspiration for me and an opportunity to employ all my skills as an artist.
I usually paint several such paintings simultaneously (see the images from my studio below). All these oil paintings were done by the classical techniques of old masters (and all have reached their buyers).
Custom-made paintings - typical cases
(and samples of delivered paintings):
- Painting of your favorite landscape (from photographs - oil painting, watercolor, acrylic painting).
- Painting made completely without a template - non-existent theme, a painting based purely on the description you will send me by e-mail.
- Portraits, family portraits (including nudes) - generally a painting of a figure motif.
- "Wedding paintings" and paintings related to your hobbies.
- Making of an accurate copy of another painting, i.e., a replica painting. More details follow in the sample section.
"Painting based on a photograph" of your favorite landscape - oil painting (or watercolor):
- Highlands summer landscape: oil painting on canvas, painted in the open air - size approximately 50 cm x 90 cm.
- Including the frame made of spruce wood.
- Shrine: oil painting on board, approximate dimensions 40 cm x 30 cm.
Painting of an "imaginary landscape" without a reference from real life:
- The customer worded the request/idea for the painting as follows:
- "A large, meditative Japanese garden with distinctive, twisted red trees mirrored in water;a small waterfall; rocks; and an open view into the heart of the garden; the sky covered with gentle summer clouds."
- Size approximately 100 cm x 65 cm, oil on canvas, delivered without a frame.
- Naturally, before starting my work, I had to study the principles of the construction of Japanese gardens.
- "Landscape Transformations" - client was inspired by this series
- Size 80 x 100 cm, oil on canvas.
Painting of a portrait: oil painting, watercolor, charcoal:
I especially recommend an oil painting for a classical portrait. For expressive or stylized portraits, acrylic is the best medium. Watercolor is a very quick, lively and transparent medium, perfect for a bit looser concept of painting.
- Custom-made portrait of a little girl: oil painting, approx. 40 cm x 30 cm, painting from a photo.
- This assignment was quite easy :-) "My granddaughter is a little angel and a little devil, mostly both at once. Is she possible to paint?"
- Family portrait: oil painting, c. 80 cm x 60 cm.
- Family portrait: oil painting, c. 90 cm x 60 cm.
- Portrait of a young couple - miniature oil painting, 27 cm x 21 cm, framed.
- Very non-traditional portrait :-)) "Superman and Partisan Girl" - portrait of a young couple.
- Portrait: watercolor, 40 cm x 30 cm, painted from a photograph.
- Portrait: charcoal, approx. 50 cm x 40 cm, drawing from a photograph.
Paintings of nudes: oil, watercolor, acrylic, charcoal:
- Commissioned: "Very decent, obscured nude of a young girl", painted live.
- Commissioned: "Movie flap – a motif of a naked young girl with some furniture to sit on" (the client was a director of company making chairs and armchairs).
Wedding presents, paintings related to your hobbies, paintings as birthday gifts or to celebrate other jubilees:
- Wedding present painting: the painting has found its home in Australia.
- For this commissioned painting, the client did not have any specific wish. My idea reflecting the couple’s origins and interests was an enormous success and a huge surprise for everyone, including the newlyweds.
- As you can see, the final painting may be quite different from the preparatory sketches sometimes.
- "Grosse Röder in Radeburg" - oil painting for a client in Germany:
- Oil on canvas, framed, 35 cm x 50 cm.
- My customers are both private collectors and institutions:
- Municipal house in the town of Citoliby – a painting commissioned for the 90th birthday of an influential personality born there, musical theoretician and contemporary music composer Dr. Zdenek Sestak (Wikipedia link)
- Oil painting created in real colors as based on a black-and-white photograph (the client was very happy about this possibility):
Custom-made paintings from photographs – the suppression of disturbing parts or details:
Frankly, this is quite a common case – such an adjustment needs to be done in most such custom-made paintings.
- Customer's wish: "I would like a painting of a pond in the summer, painted in a pleasing, idyllic mood."
- Commissioned painting: "I like that pond with autumnal yellow birches and shining reflections in the water. Could you suppress the house on the distant bank a bit?"
- Of course, the paintings you would like to have can be inspired by your vacation anywhere.
- Your favorite place - in this case, it was a nice village cottage with a really charming garden:
- Another wish to paint a cottage:
Making of a replica painting:
To tell the truth, I am not very happy when someone wants an "exact replica". I prefer paintings that are merely inspired by other paintings. It is necessary to respect the copyright (yes, it is my approach). But we can discuss it – that is no problem. It often happens that people like some of my paintings on this website. In such a case, I can paint an alternative for you (e.g., a slightly different mood; a larger or smaller size, etc.).
- I made this replica painting for one of my dedicated collectors:
- The motif is a historical view of the family manor and both branches of the family wanted to have this painting in their collection.
- The original is on the left. I did not like the shape of the dominant tree and it seemed somewhat oppressed to me (with only a little bit of space above).
- Moreover, the shade of the wall was clearly wrong in the original (the light source is on the left).
- Therefore, I made some adjustments but I did preserve all the main aspects of the original painting.
- Replica of a painting made by a painter who passed away a long time ago:
Traditional still lifes - or very unconventional still lifes:
- This is an example of quite an original custom-made painting - "Still life with an orange and a blue sky".
- Nearly hyper-realistic technique of painting, 40 cm x 50 cm, oil on hardboard.
- A truly classical composition - "Still life with grapes and plums".
- Made with old masters’ technique, glazed oil painting on hardboard, 30 cm x 40 cm.
- Naturally, custom-made still life paintings with flowers are among the most popular ones.
- This painting was to evoke the sun in the summer - acrylic painting. The client couple did not have any restrictions in this commission's propositions.
- The clients were inspired by a small painting (already sold) on my web site.
- I always truly appreciate when clients send me pictures of my paintings in their homes.
- Format 80 cm x 100 cm, not framed.
- "Dream" painting:
- Size 160 cm x 70 cm, oil on canvas, delivered unframed.
- It is an abstract painting, but the client had a very exact notion of the shades of blue to be used - brush technique.
The same motif - different painting techniques - different moods of the resulting oil paintings:
- As you can see, the paintings are truly original art pieces
- Painting on the left side: a classical landscape - 50 cm x 40 cm, oil on canvas, framed
- Painting on the right side: very expressive paintings - same motif and format
- Very different artistic interpretations of the same scenery.
- You always get a truly original painting.
You can find inspiration for your custom-made painting by looking at some of my paintings on this website:
- A typical situation may be that you like some paintings on my website (sold or not) but you would prefer a different size. You might also wish me to highlight or leave out certain elements.
- Everything is possible - we can agree on anything.
- I will paint an original painting specially for you and you will have a truly original art piece to your liking.
- Some of atypical examples:
- Some visitors of my website really liked the yellow "Tansies".
- They wanted a painting like that but with "Poppies" instead.
- The painting was shipped to Slovakia (stretched and unframed).
- The images show both the process of painting and wrapping.
- The customer wanted the dramatic mood of the painting to be preserved in his commissioned version.
- One of the paintings has a size of 100 cm x 80 cm, the other one is 40 cm x 50 cm.
- You can guess which one is which :-).
- For a comparison, you can see a 80 cm x 100 cm painting on canvas without a frame and in a wooden frame (spruce).
- To frame or not to frame is a personal choice but sending an unframed painting saves you money, as it reduces the shipping cost.
- Large canvases can be sent rolled up in a tube. It is very cheap and easy to have them stretched (and possibly framed) after their arrival.
I almost forgot our pets!
- The dog was, of course, an important part of the painting.